About Jatamansi Essential Oil
This dark green jatamansi oil, also known as Himalayan spikenard, is distilled from sustainably harvested roots gathered from community forests in Nepal. Spikenard oil is an important Ayurvedic herb throughout all of India.
Jatamansi oil is one of the most effective essential oils for supporting a calm mind and balanced body. Those who suffer from worry or other overly active and mental habits will benefit immensely from regular use of this special oil. Jatamansi is calming and grounding and is highly revered for its ability to support deep sleep and to help one work through and release subconscious trauma. Spikenard oil is similar in quality to valerian, but is considered preferable because it is less dulling in its effects and possesses a sweeter and more pleasant fragrance.
Use jatamansi oil diluted in a carrier oil on the bottom of the feet and/or crown of the head before bed to promote deep sleep and positive dream states. Jatamansi oil is one of the most important herbal medicines for dealing with grief after losing a loved one. It can also be used to anoint those who are transitioning from life to death.
Jatamansi oil has a strong fragrance of moist earth, like the high altitude forest floor where it is found, and the distinct odor of the valerianacea family.
Jatamansi Essential Oil Profile
Jatamansi is an endangered plant due to its widespread use and to unsustainable harvesting practices. This jatamansi oil is ethically wildcrafted from sustainably harvested roots gathered from community forests in Nepal.
How to Use Jatamansi Essential Oil
- Sleep Deep, Dream Vividly: Use a drop of jatamansi oil on the bottom of the feet and crown of the head before bed to promote a rejuvenating night of rest and meaningful dream states. Give it a try–you may be surprised by how wonderful the experience is!
- In Moments of Stress and Worry: To support a balanced, calm mind and emotional equilibrium, add one drop of jatamansi essential oil to one teaspoon of massage oil and apply to the temples or forehead.
- Direct Palm Inhalation: Perhaps the easiest way to use jatamansi oil is through a simple direct palm inhalation. Place a drop of this deeply calming oil in the palm of your hand and gently rub your palms together. Then, bring your hands towards your face and take a deep inhalation.
Other Ways To Use Jatamansi Essential Oil
- Blend jatamansi oil with any massage oil, such as marula or jojoba, and use in a relaxing, tranquil massage blend for your whole body before or after a bath or shower. Add several drops and apply as a warm compress to soothe and relax any specific area of the body.
How Meghan Uses Jatamansi Essential Oil
Jatamansi Essential Oil Recipes
Ayurvedic Wisdom for Jatamansi Essential Oil
Jatamansi is among the more revered herbs in Ayurvedic healing. From an Ayurvedic perspective, Jatamansi is a supreme remedy for problems caused by Vata (Wind), which causes deterioration of tissue, depletes energy and creates dryness, fatigue and persistent dissatisfaction. By balancing "wind," this Himalayan spikenard oil will greatly assist in slowing down the overly active mind and will support tranquility and peacefulness. Jatamansi oil is also cooling in nature and therefore is good for some Pitta (fire) related problems, especially those of the mind (such as anger and rage).
Safety Considerations for Jatamansi Essential Oil
Do not take spikenard essential oil internally. Though the potential for skin irriation is low, do not apply directly to the eyes or mucous membranes. Pregnant women, nursing mothers and children should not use this product without first consulting a licensed healthcare practitioner. The information on this website is not intended to diagnose or prescribe for any disease or health condition. The above statements have not been evaluated by the FDA.
Aromatic Profile and Blending of Jatamansi Essential Oil
This heavy, sweet-woody jatamasi oil is reminiscent of valerian, yet sweeter and more pleasant. It blends well with cedarwood oil, sandalwood oil, lavender oil, patchouli oil, pine oil and vetiver oil. Jatamansi oil is one of the primary ingredients in Floracopeia's Vata blend.
- Botanical Name: Nardostachys jatamansi
- Composition: 100% Pure Jatamansi Essential Oil
- Origin: Nepal
- Plant Part: Spikenard Roots
- Extraction: Steam Distillation
- Cultivation/Harvesting: Wild-harvested
- Bottle Size: ½ fl oz (15 mL)