About Cistus Essential Oil
Cistus (Labdanum) has a long history of medicinal and ritual use. Also known as Rockrose, it is a resinous and extremely fragrant bush that grows wild throughout the Mediterranean region. Cistus contributes greatly to the luscious aroma of the Corsican countryside and is an integral part of the island’s aromatic biome, called the maqui.
The essential oil of cistus offers a stunning, resinous-herbaceous, uniquely sweet perfume. This aromatic gem is interwoven into Corsican tradition, primarily for meditation, respiratory assistance, and skincare.
The Rockrose bush exudes a resinous dark brown mass that has been used for centuries as a temple incense, perfume, and skin fortifier. Thought to be magical and therapeutic, it was an ingredient in Kyphi, the ancient Egyptian incense famous for stimulating altered and euphoric moods.
How to Use Cistus Essential Oil
- Use in 1% dilution with body or massage oils.
- Inhale, using direct palm inhalation, to inspire and clear the breath.
- Diffuse for its purifying and meditative qualities.
- Use a few drops in your face cream, cleanser, or toner for beautiful skin.
Cistus Essential Oil Recipes
- Soothe the Mind: 6 drops cistus, 3 drops sandalwood essential oil, and 7 drops frankincense essential oil. Add to your diffuser or a spritzer bottle to use as a room/aura spray.
- Skin Care (Mature Skin): 7 drops Cistus, 4 drops helichrysum essential oil, 4 drops frankincense-myrrh co-distillation and 2 drops chamomile essential oil in 2 oz rosehip seed oil.
Interesting Cistus Essential Oil Information
Cistus is a distinct essential oil derived from labdanum, which is extracted from the resin or gum exudate of the same plant. Cistus grows in Spain, Portugal, France, Sicily, Greece, Algeria, and Morocco.
Safety Considerations for Cistus Essential Oil
Avoid use during pregnancy. The information on this website is not intended to diagnose or prescribe for any disease or health condition. Pregnant women, nursing mothers, and children should not use this product without first consulting a licensed healthcare practitioner. The above statements have not been evaluated by the FDA.
Aromatic Profile and Blending Information of Cistus Essential Oil
- Perfumery Note: Base
- Odor: Strongly herbaceous and balsam/resinous with sweet, honey-like undertones
- Strength of Initial Aroma: Strong
- Botanical Name: Cistus ladaniferus
- Family: Cistaceae
- Composition: 100% Pure Cistus Essential Oil
- Origin: Spain
- Method of Extraction: Distillation
- Cultivation/Harvesting: Organic
- Plant Part: Leaves and stems
- Color: Orange to Yellow
- Consistency: Thin
- Yield: 0.2% - 0.3%
- Bottle Size: 1 Dram (3.75 mL)