About Clary Sage Essential Oil
Sweetly herbaceous with notes of tea and wine, clary sage essential oil boasts the rare ability to soothe the stressed nerves and emotions provoked by the hormonal cycle, and has earned the oil the affectionate sobriquet, the "woman's oil". Steam-distilled from the flowers, the distinct tea-like floral notes of clary sage essential oil are the signal that deep emotional clearing and relaxation are on the way.
Long considered "woman's oil", clary sage's benefits lie in its calming influence on the body and mind, along with supporting emotional and feminine functions. Clary sage is a commonly used oil in massage oils to induce all-over body comfort and ease, especially where there may be excess heat. As a cooling oil, clary assists with red, upset skin. Employed in the diffuser, you will find it offers soothing relief when used as needed.
Clary sage is useful when calm and relaxed states are needed in our high stress, fast paced society. Clary sage is an excellent night time oil, and can be diffused where its lovely fragrance will be an aromatic lullaby. It is thought to produce feelings of lucidity, equanimity, and tranquility.
Clary Sage Essential Oil Profile
The aerial parts of this non-certified organic clary sage plant are steam-distilled for Floracopeia in France.
How to Use Clary Sage Essential Oil
- Direct Palm Inhalation: Direct inhale or diffuse clary sage essential oil to help relieve unsettled feelings and upset, and to gain a more positive outlook on life.
Other Ways to Use Clary Sage Essential Oil
Clary sage essential oil can be applied topically, as a compress, through direct inhalation or vapor therapy, or diffused.
- Massage Oil: A drop or two on sore bodies to soothe, just add it to your favorite massage oil and rub.
- Aromatic Bath: Add a few drops to an aromatic bath to ease stress, sadness and worry.
- Beautiful Skin: For hot, red, upset skin, mix several drops into facial or body cream to promote smooth and clear complexions.
Clary Sage Essential Oil Recipes
- Abdominal Cramping Formula: 4 drops angelica oil, 6 drops clary sage oil, 4 drops cardamom oil, 4 drops roman chamomile oil in 30 mL marula or other carrier oil
- Mood Balancing Blend: 8 drops bergamot oil, 4 drops clary sage oil, 2 drops jasmine oil neat for diffusion or direct inhalation, diluted for massage.
Aromatic Profile and Blending Information of Clary Sage Essential Oil
- Perfumery Note: Middle
- Odor: Fresh, floral, dry, weedy, sweet herbaceous, tea-like
- Strength of Initial Aroma: Medium to strong
- Dry-out: Tobacco, tea-like, balsamic
- Clary Sage Oil Blends Well With: juniper oil, florals like geranium oil, lavender oil, jasmine oil and neroli oil; lemon oil, bergamot oil, and other citrus oils, as well as wood oils such as frankincense oil, cedarwood oil, and sandalwood oil.
Safety Considerations for Clary Sage Essential Oil
Non-toxic and non-irritant. Non- to mildly sensitizing. Consult your health care professional before using during pregnancy. Do not take clary sage essential oil internally.
Interesting Clary Sage Essential Oil Information
Clary sage essential oil was originally produced solely for perfumery purposes; however the herb found use as far back as the Middle Ages for digestive and renal complaints as well as the gamut of feminine reproductive conditions involving the uterus, menopause, and menstrual complaints. The seeds were used to treat eye infections (thus the name “clear eye” or “eye bright”). Clary sage oil is used as a flavoring agent in the food and beverage industry but it is principally used in perfumery and cosmetics.
- Botanical Name: Salvia sclarea
- Family: Lamiaceae (Labiatae)
- Composition: 100% Pure Clary Sage Essential Oil
- Origin: France
- Method of Extraction: Steam Distillation
- Cultivation/Harvesting: Organic
- Plant Part: Aerial Parts
- Color: Clear to pale yellow
- Consistency: Thin
- Yield: 0.2% - 0.7%
- Bottle Size: ½ fl oz (15 mL)