About Frankincense Frereana Essential Oil
Boswellia frereana essential oil is a powerful supportive oil for enhancing increased flow of energy, comfort and ease throughout the body. It is a powerful oil to use for both topical application in almost any massage formula, as well as a tool for helping to unwind the mind and create a pathway to a peaceful and pure outlook.
The essential oil of Boswellia frereana has a gorgeous crisp lemony-citrus bouquet and is endowed with a rainbow of aromatherapeutic applications. It is derived from oleo gum resins which function as the protective and defensive support for the tree, and in its essential oil form, passes onto us these same precious properties.
Frankincense is among the most widely used of all essential oils. Frankincense oil is revered for its powerfully uplifting and clarifying effects for the body and mind. When diffused in your home, it provides protection for you and your family, encourages healthy moods and will turn the fragrance of your home into that of a temple.
One of the prime applications of frankincense is the use as a spiritual aid in ritual, prayer, and meditation. Used in worship since time immemorial for the way it blends its many healing powers with an intoxicating fragrance, frankincense can properly be said to belong to the family of sacred scents.
A few drops of this high-quality frankincense oil can be applied to the palms, rubbed together, and inhaled. Frankincense essential oil can be mixed with a carrier oil such as coconut or rosehip seed and applied to help the body stay limber and relaxed. It is particularly helpful for those who practice yoga.
The benefits for the mind are many, and for the body Boswellia oil encourages renewed luster to the skin, rendering it ideal for skin care. Frankincense is used cosmetically to support and nourish dry and aging skin.
Frankincense Frereana Essential Oil Profile
Known not only for its aromatic but its outstanding therapeutic properties, the higher cost of this oil helps support social development programs in the villages of Somaliland.
Which Frankincense Essential Oil is Best for Me?
Floracopeia is proud to offer a large selection of the highest quality frankincense oils sourced from diverse locations and distillers. To assist you in making your choice about which species might be the best for you, we offer the following information.
As they all have very similar therapeutic functions, all of the frankincense oils can be used interchangeably, they can also be blended together. The primary difference between the frankincenses is in their olfactory characteristics, which can be summed up as:
- Frankincense Carterii Essential Oil: One of the more popular species, B. carterii is harvested from the rocky coast of Somalia. It has the smooth, deep, and resinous aroma that is typical of frankincense, with a moderately strong terpenic top note and lovely pine heart notes.
- Frankincense Frereana Essential Oil: Harvested in mountainous regions of Somalia, this variety emits intensely terpenic top notes with strong cumin and pungent spice notes, and more balsamic and citrus notes than other varieties. The higher cost of this oil helps support social development programs in Somaliland where it is known as "Maydi", and considered to be the king of all frankincense.
- Frankincense Neglecta Essential Oil: Distilled from rare black frankincense resin, this oil produces complex spice notes and sweet and terpenic aromatic notes. It has an unusual earthy and slightly musty aroma, with subtle hidden sweetness.
- Frankincense Papyriferra Essential Oil: Wild-harvested in the mountainous regions of Ethiopia, this variety contains more subtle and distinctly fruity and citrus notes, with a predominance of soft orange notes. It is said to possess unique properties for both enlivening and relaxing the mind and emotions.
- Frankincense Rivae Essential Oil: Also known as Ogaden frankincense, this fine oil is wild-harvested in Ethiopia. A "finer" variety that is used in perfumery, B. rivae contains over 200 molecular compounds that produce a complex, soft, woody, and elegant aroma, plus therapeutic benefits.
- Frankincense Serrata Essential Oil: This variety is commonly known as Olibanum and is considered to be the richest and most exquisite in scent and quality. Wild-harvested in India, its aroma contains very fresh lemon, citrus, and pine notes.
How to Use Frankincense Frereana Essential Oil
- Direct Palm Inhalation: Inhale a drop of frankincense papyrifera oil to purify the mind; this oil is great used daily or as often as needed. Gently rub the palms together, bring them towards your face and take a deep inhalation....it brings clarity, protection and a meditative mind. Keep a bottle near your meditation or yoga spot and begin your practice with a few deep inhalations to transform the busy energy of the day into a clear and focused state.
Other Ways to Use Frankincense Frereana Essential Oil
Frankincense can be applied topically, as a compress, in the bath, through direct inhalation, or diffuser.
- In the Diffuser: Diffusing Frankincense Essential Oil will turn your home into a temple. It will protect you and your family, encourage healthy, uplifted moods and provide a beautiful aromatic environment. Please use freely to encourage and enhance vitality during the challenging winter months. Diffuse frankincense with lavender and a drop of peppermint to ease tension and discomfort of the head and emotions.
- Skin Toner: Apply a drop of frankincense to purify the skin.
- In the Bath: Add a few drops to a warm bath to benefit challenged lungs.
- As a Mouth Rinse: Gargle a drop of frankincense in water for a clean, healthy mouth.
Frankincense Frereana Essential Oil Recipes
- Respiratory Support Blend: 8 drops frankincense oil, 6 drops Eucalyptus globulus oil, 3 drops rosemary oil, 3 drops pine oil, 2 drops peppermint oil for diffusion, or in 30 mL jojoba oil for topical/direct inhalation
- Meditation Blend: 8 drops frankincense oil, 6 drops sandalwood oil, 3 drops opoponax oil, 3 drops cedar wood oil for diffusion, or in 30 mL jojoba oil for topical/direct inhalation
Interesting Frankincense Frereana Essential Oil Information
A universally known incense with a spicy, balsamic, instantly recognizable odor, the aromatic resin of frankincense has been at the center of ritual practice, medical use and commerce in India, the Arabian peninsula and North Africa since ancient times. This plant has been a true gift to the human community, serving variously not only as medicine but as a source of dyes and cosmetics, along with its use as air-freshener, mosquito repellent, and essential source of livelihood. Its ancient use in ritual and temple offerings across religions, both historic and modern day, attest to its powerful spiritual attributes.
The essential oil of Boswellia frereana contains more than two hundred molecular compounds, which give it a very complex bouquet and endow it with a rainbow of applications. It is derived from oleo gum resins which function as the immune and defense support for the frankincense tree, and in its essential oil form, passes onto us these same precious properties.
It is a natural fumigant, and fumigation with frankincense has long had the dual effect of both disinfecting public spaces and elevating the spirit. Frankincense is effective as a mouthwash.
Boswellia seedlings are slow growing and are susceptible to livestock grazing before they are able to reach a more mature state. Papyrifera in particular is becoming endangered and is need of conservation due to extensive farming, overgrazing and poor harvesting practices. Once established, frankincense trees can live for at least a hundred years. Their flowers are popular with bees, and the long flowering period from October to February is helpful for bee colony maintenance.
Frankincense was included in the gifts presented by the wise men to the infant Christ together with gold and myrrh. It was introduced into church ceremonies at the beginning of Christianity in Europe during the Middle Ages. About 500 tons of frankincense were used by the Orthodox and Roman Catholic churches per year. Burning frankincense in churches had hygienic functions as well as spiritual importance. People of the Middle Ages lived in extremely unsanitary conditions, so the fumigation of churches helped reduce contagion through atmospheric purification.
Using Sacred Aromatic Plants for Meditation, Ceremony, & Ritual:
Safety Considerations for Frankincense Frereana Essential Oil
Frankincense oil is non-toxic, non-irritant and non-sensitizing. Do not take Boswellia frereana essential oil internally.
Aromatic Profile and Blending of Frankincense Frereana Essential Oil
- Botanical Name: Boswellia frereana
- Family: Burseraceae
- Composition: 100% Pure Frankincense Frereana Essential Oil
- Origin: Somalia
- Method of Extraction: Steam Distillation
- Cultivation/Harvesting: Wild-harvested
- Plant Part: Gum Resin
- Color: Pale to golden yellow
- Consistency: Thin
- Yield: 3% - 5%
- Bottle Size: ½ fl oz (15 mL)