Sandalwood Essential Oil, Australian
About Australian Sandalwood Essential Oil
The oil from this unique species of sandalwood, Santalum spicatum, represents one of the rare success stories of the preservation of this endangered aromatic treasure. Harvesting of this variety of sandalwood is performed only under stringent license conditions enforced by the State Government, which requires that 12 seedlings are planted to replace each harvested tree.
One of perfumery's most revered substances, sandalwood oil is prized for its tranquil, nourishing and satisfying fragrance. This sandalwood oil is extracted using the supercritical CO2 method, which allows for retention of the broadest aromatic profile possible. The resulting fragrance quiets the mind and emotions, opens the heart, enhances concentration and awakens intuition. It also enhances romantic moods with its soft, sensual, opening and centering spicy-warm fragrance.
Let this Floracopeia favorite infuse your meditation and skin care routines with the pristine healing elements of nature at its purest. Sandalwood oil is among the very best oils to use on a daily basis as a healing perfume. It is considered highly sattvic, which means it promotes good health, tranquility, clarity and is very safe to use. Renowned especially for its calming, uplifting powers, the “divine oil” of sandalwood has been a staple of spiritual practices from ancient times to the present day. A quintessential component of ritual and meditation, sandalwood calms a worried mind and supports inner serenity. Sandalwood oil promotes what is known in Ayurveda as ojas, or nutritional essence; therefore, sandalwood is strengthening to the vital health of the entire body and gives satisfaction to the mind.
How to Use Australian Sandalwood Essential Oil
- Sandalwood Perfume: Sandalwood is truly a supreme perfume. Its fragrance is universally loved and its healing effects are unsurpassed. Place a drop on the wrists, neck, crown of the head and center of the chest for a transformative effect.
- Meditation Anointment: Apply one drop between the eyebrows prior to meditation to support a serene and clear state.
- For Radiant Skin: Add a drop or two to facial moisturizer, or apply neat as a rejuvenating skin tonic.
- For Relaxation: Massage several drops into temples and back of neck to calm the mind. It is especially lovely when added to a warm bath.
- In the Diffuser: Diffuse to promote deep, restful sleep or anytime a calm environment is needed. Wonderful diffused around children when it is time for quiet and calm.
- Sandalwood Compress: Apply a warm compress over dry, reddened skin to help cool and hydrate.
- Moisturizing Mix: Add a drop or two to your regular moisturizer during your daily skincare regimen or apply as needed. Sandalwood is a befitting choice for enhancing the health and beauty of all skin types, and is particularly useful, especially when employed synergistically with lavender and helichrysum, to help treat skin that has been overexposed to the sun.
Australian Sandalwood Essential Oil Recipes
- Meditation Blend: 6 drops sandalwood oil, 8 drops frankincense oil, 3 drops frankincense and myrrh oil and 3 drops cedarwood in 30 mL of jojoba oil for topical application or direct inhalation.
- Female Blend: 2 drops sandalwood oil, 4 drops Eastern hemlock oil, 4 drops frankincense oil and 4 drops myrtle oil in 30 mL of carrier oil. Massage gently into breast tissue twice daily for two weeks, then rest for one week.
Safety Considerations for Australian Sandalwood Essential Oil
Non-toxic, non-sensitizing, non-irritant. Do not take sandalwood essential oil internally.
Aromatic Profile and Blending of Australian Sandalwood Essential Oil
- Perfumery Note: Base
- Odor: Woody, smooth, rich, earthy, nutty, sweet
- Strength of Initial Aroma: Medium
- Blends Well With:Rose and neroli; wood oils like muhuhu, frankincense and cedarwood; woody, earthy-note oils such as patchouli, orris root and vetiver; with floral oils such as jasmine sambac and ylang-ylang oil
- Botanical Name:Santalum spicatum
- Family: Santalaceae
- Composition: 100% Pure Australian Sandalwood Essential Oil
- Origin: Australia
- Method of Extraction: CO2 Extraction
- Cultivation/Harvesting: Eco-harvested
- Plant Part: Heartwood
- Color: Clear to light to rich yellow
- Consistency: Viscous
- Yield: ~1% for younger trees, 2.5% - 6% for more mature trees
- Bottle Size: 1 Dram (3.75 mL)
Interesting Australian Sandalwood Essential Oil Information
Sandalwood oil is a true aromatic gem and it has a long history of use in ethno-botanical medicine, religious and ceremonial ritual, cosmetics, perfumery and meditation. The practice of purification through prayer of all kinds was frequently accompanied by the burning of incense such as sandalwood and frankincense resin. Though the purpose was to promote spiritual refinement through prayer accompanied by sacred scents, the burning of sandalwood actually served a dual purpose: sandalwood has spiritually and emotionally uplifting as well as purifying properties.
Because of its uniquely rich and smooth fragrance and potent healing properties, and because the entire tree must be harvested in order to extract the essential oil, sandalwood has become increasingly rare and is now far too often obtained from areas that are over-harvested, illegally harvested and facing ecological threat through deforestation and grazing. The vast majority of sandalwood oil on the market is adulterated or produced under unethical conditions; at the same time, numerous agro-forestry projects are starting that need support through the sales of their products.