Jatamansi Essential Oil, Bhutanese
About Bhutan Jatamansi Essential Oil
This aromatic treasure calms and balances your nervous system and helps slow down overactive thoughts and other mental habits as you release subconscious trauma. You’ll experience more restorative sleep, vivid dreams, rejuvenated mornings — and reduced anxiety, depression, and stress. You’ll enjoy its warm, earthy, soft scent that gets sweeter as you move through your day.
Distilled by hand on a small scale, this wild harvested oil is available just once a year.
Spikenard oil (Jatamansi oil) is one of the most effective essential oils for supporting a calm mind and balanced nervous system. Spikenard (Jatamansi), calming and grounding, is highly revered for its ability to support deep sleep and help one work with and release subconscious trauma. Spikenard oil is similar in quality to valerian, but is less dulling in its effects with a sweeter and more pleasant fragrance.
Use Jatamansi oil on the feet and crown before bed to promote meaningful dream states. Jatamansi or spikenard is one of the most famous and important of the Ayurvedic herbs and is used for supporting deep sleep and a calm mind, and a wide variety of other psychological conditions. Spikenard oil is one of the most important herbal medicines for grief after losing a loved one. Spikenard oil can also be used to anoint those who are transitioning from life to death. A powerfully effective calmative, jatamansi oil has been used to support balancing an arrhythmic heart. Purifying and regenerative, spikenard essential oil has also been used to encourage skin health and hair growth.
Jatamansi oil has a strong fragrance of moist earth, and the distinct odor of the valerianacea family. This exclusive Bhutanese variety is distincly softer, sweeter and less pungent than our traditional nepalese variety. This is the ideal Jatamansi oil for anyone who is averse to the strong scent of jatamansi, or for those wishing to use it for perfume.
How to Use Jatamansi Essential Oil
Spikenard oil is safe to apply directly to the skin. To support a balanced, calm nervous system and emotional equilibrium, add a drop of spikenard oil to the temples, forehead or behind the ears during challenging times of worry or overwhelm. Direct palm inhalation is another excellent way of accessing the deep therapeutic properties of spikenard oil. Jatamansi oil is one of the best bedtime oils. Massage Floracopeia's spikenard oil into the bottoms of your feet, the top of your head to encourage night of deep, nourishing sleep.
Dilute jatamansi oil in your favorite massage oil such as marula oil or jojoba, and use in a relaxing, tranquil massage blend for your whole body before or after a bath or shower. Use spikenard oil in a warm compress to encourage digestive ease and a balanced nervous system. Mix in a carrier oil with clary sage oil or rosemary oil to support hair growth. Spikenard oil not recommended for use in a diffuser.
- Sleep Deep, Dream Vividly: Use a drop of jatamansi oil on the bottom of the feet and crown of the head before bed to promote a rejuvenating night of rest and meaningful dream states. Give it a try–you may be surprised by how wonderful the experience is!
- In Moments of Stress and Worry: To support a balanced, calm mind and emotional equilibrium, add one drop of jatamansi essential oil to one teaspoon of massage oil and apply to the temples or forehead.
- Direct Palm Inhalation: Perhaps the easiest way to use jatamansi oil is through a simple direct palm inhalation. Place a drop of this deeply calming oil in the palm of your hand and gently rub your palms together. Then, bring your hands towards your face and take a deep inhalation.
Other Ways To Use Jatamansi Essential Oil
- Blend jatamansi oil with any massage oil, such as rosehip seed or jojoba, and use in a relaxing, tranquil massage blend for your whole body before or after a bath or shower. Add several drops and apply as a warm compress to soothe and relax any specific area of the body.
Jatamansi Essential Oil Recipes
- Essence Connection: 2 drops jatamansi oil, 7 drops clary sage oil and 15 drops grapefruit oil in 2 oz of jojoba oil. Note that Jatamansi oil can be highly soporific and this blend is best used before bed. Grapefruit is part of the citrus family and can be phototoxic. Avoid UV exposure for at least 8 hours after application. This blend is wonderful rubbed into the soles of the feet.
Safety Considerations for Jatamansi Essential Oil
Do not take spikenard essential oil internally. Though the potential for skin irriation is low, do not apply directly to the eyes or mucous membranes. Pregnant women, nursing mothers and children should not use this product without first consulting a licensed healthcare practitioner. The information on this website is not intended to diagnose or prescribe for any disease or health condition. The above statements have not been evaluated by the FDA.
- Botanical Name: Nardostachys jatamansi
- Composition: 100% Pure Jatamansi Essential Oil
- Origin: Bhutan
- Plant Part: Spikenard Roots
- Extraction: Steam Distillation
- Cultivation/Harvesting: Wild-harvested
- Bottle Size: One dram (3.75mL)
Jatamansi Essential Oil Profile
Jatamansi is an endangered plant due to its widespread use and to unsustainable harvesting practices.
Valerianaceae is a medicinally important family with great ethnobotanical diversity. The biodiversity of this family is under threat in India and Nepal. Because spikenard oil is now scarce, adulteration occurs frequently with valerian oil, additives such as borneol, patchouli oil, isobornyl valerianate, terpenyl, valerianate, terpineol, eugenol, etc.
This jatamansi oil is ethically wildcrafted from sustainably harvested roots gathered with the blessing, and under the strict ecological guidance, of the Royal Government of Bhutan for the first time in history.
Aromatic Profile and Blending of Jatamansi Essential Oil
Sweet, woody and earthy, this is a much softer version of jatamansi. It smells of the earth and hills, and has a lighter, less pungent smell than valerian oils. This jatamansi is uniquely suited to perfumery and can be blended with a carrier oil to create an incredibly unique single note perfume. It blends well with cedarwood oil, sandalwood oil, lavender oil, and vetiver oil. It is also lovely with citrus oils, patchouli or pine oils.
Ayurvedic Wisdom for Jatamansi Essential Oil
Jatamansi is among the more revered herbs in Ayurvedic healing. From an Ayurvedic perspective, Jatamansi is a supreme remedy for problems caused by Vata (Wind), which causes deterioration of tissue, depletes energy and creates dryness, fatigue and persistent dissatisfaction. By balancing "wind," this Himalayan spikenard oil will greatly assist in slowing down the overly active mind and will support tranquility and peacefulness. Jatamansi oil is also cooling in nature and therefore is good for some Pitta (fire) related problems, especially those of the mind (such as anger and rage).
Bottle size: 1 dram (3.75mL)
Due to extremely limited availability, this product does not qualify for discounts, including Wholesale discounts.
- Latin Name:
- Nardostachys jatamansi
- Country of Origin:
- Bottle Size:
- One dram (3.75mL)