Grapefruit Essential Oil
About Grapefruit Essential Oil
Floracopeia's superbly fresh grapefruit essential oil is bursting with the aromatic and energetic essence of the fruit. Bracing, clean, intensely citrus and powerfully therapeutic in its ability to renew the spirit and balance emotions, it is cold-pressed from the peel of organic red grapefruit grown in Italy.
An exceptionally refreshing purifier, grapefruit oil is renowned for its broad spectrum of uplifting effects on the body and mind. Like other astringent citrus oils, grapefruit essential oil is believed to restore smoothness and suppleness and to beautify the skin. Its stimulating effect also helps boost the effectiveness of massage.
Reviving, uplifting and imparting emotional buoyancy, the fragrance of grapefruit essential oil is considered especially beneficial due to its ability to ease tension from daily stress. A mild euphoric, it can soothe and uplift the emotions and spirit and help balance a tired and overstimulated nervous system. Its light, zesty aromatic profile imparts those same qualities upon inhalation.
How to Use Grapefruit Essential Oil
Grapefruit essential oil can be applied topically, as a compress, in the bath, through direct inhalation or used with a diffuser.
- In the Diffuser: Grapefruit is a universally appealing scent that is versatile and can blend with almost any oil. As with most citrus, it will uplift the mind and emotions and freshen the air to everyone’s liking. Reach for this oil to lighten up your diffuser blend if it has become too heavy, floral or medicinal smelling.
- Aromatic Bath: Add several drops of grapefruit oil to warm bath water for an uplifting and skin smoothing experience.
- Air Freshening: Add several drops grapefruit oil to a tissue and place in your car to rejuvenate and deodorize. Grapefruit, with its fresh citrus notes, will replace stale air with a scent of sunshine brightness.
Please use safety precautions, because citrus and the sun are incompatible. Citrus oils, including grapefruit, are phototoxic, and can damage your skin if rubbed on the skin and exposed to sunlight.
Grapefruit Essential Oil Recipes
- Tummy Massage: 4 drops grapefruit oil, 4 drops peppermint oil, 2 drops ginger oil and 2 drops fennel oil in 15 mL of jojoba oil.
- Smooth Skin: 6 drops grapefruit oil, 2 drops cedar oil, 2 drops rosemary oil and 4 drops lemon oil in 15 mL of grape seed oil.
- Garden Insect Spray: 2 drops grapefruit oil, 4 drops rose geranium oil, 2 drops lavender oil and 2 drops chamomile oil in 4 oz bottle of water. Spray affected leaves.
- Rise & Shine Diffuser blend: 3 drops peppermint oil, 3 drops orange oil, 2 drops grapefruit oil, 2 drops lemon oil, 2 drops frankincense oil.
- Citrus Cleaning Spray: 20 drops lemon oil, 20 drops orange oil, 20 drops grapefruit oil in an 8 oz spray bottle of water. You may optionally add 1 tsp of castile soap or Sal Suds. Spray on surfaces and wipe away.
Safety Considerations for Grapefruit Essential Oil
Like other citrus oil, grapefruit is considered non-toxic and non-irritant. Being a member of the citrus family, grapefruit may be photo-toxic; therefore, avoid UV exposure for at least 8 hours after topical application. Do not take grapefruit essential oil internally.
- Botanical Name:Citrus paradisi (red)
- Family: Rutaceae
- Composition: 100% Pure Grapefruit Essential Oil
- Origin: Italy
- Method of Extraction: Cold-pressed
- Cultivation/Harvesting: Certified Organic
- Plant Part: Peel
- Color: bright orange
- Consistency: Thin
- Yield: 0.5% - 1%
- Bottle Size: ½ fl oz (15 mL)
Grapefruit Essential Oil Profile
Floracopeia’s pale yellow grapefruit oil is expeller pressed from certified organic fruit in South Africa.
Aromatic Profile and Blending of Grapefruit Essential Oil
- Perfumery Note: Top
- Odor: Fresh, sharp, bitter-fruity, refreshing
- Strength of Initial Aroma: Medium to strong
- Blends Well With:Basil oil, palmarosa oil and rosewood; florals such as chamomile oil, jasmine oil, lavender oil and ylang-ylang oil; citrus oils, including lime oil, mandarin oil, bergamot oil, neroli-petitgrain oil, neroli oil and lemon oil.
Interesting Grapefruit Essential Oil Information
Grapefruit is a hybrid fruit, thought to have derived from cross-pollinating the large, bitter pomelo with the sweet orange. It may have originated in Asia. It was not recognized as a distinct species until the 1800’s, and was commercially developed in the 1930’s in the state of Florida, which remains one of the world’s largest suppliers.
Some citrus oils are steam-distilled but most are expressed, or expeller pressed, by squeezing the fatty oil from the rind of the fruit. The expression method does not produce what are technically considered “essential” oils, though this is the best method of extraction in most cases. As the oil glands are embedded deep within the rind, making extraction more challenging, the yield of grapefruit oil is comparatively small. Grapefruit oil oxidizes quickly and should be refrigerated (or kept in a cool, dark place with the cap sealed tightly) to retain its full aromatic complement for about one year.
Watch: David Crow on the Uses of Citrus Essential Oils
Learn more about these oils in the Pharmacy of Flowers home training on how to use essential oils.
Ratings & Reviews
by Debbie LePage
Pure citrus essence, fresh & enlivening.
by Malka Michelson
Wake Up! This oil will do it. Refreshing, alive, absolutely the real deal, just like the fruit.
by Candice S.
I love this oil! It smells so fresh and uplifting. It is uplifting and makes me smile.
The clarity and focus I gain from the grapefruit EO while in my wet sauna is a big support now during pandemic. The simple and yet significant benefits of clearing ones senses thru grapefruit is under rated.
by Greg Dyken
Better than any of the oils I find in local supermarkets. Grapefruit is a favorite for cold air diffusion in our place.
I love these fresh scents. I use it for cleaning, diffusing while I am cleaning. I also use with Frankincense in my homemade body butter.
Great for waking up and cleaning!