Jasmine Absolute Oil, Night Blooming
About Night Blooming Jasmine Absolute Oil
Many seeking the benefits of essential oils will say the same thing: a bottle of jasmine should never run empty. This quintessential oil famous for enhancing romantic moods, jasmine absolute is an exotic, aromatically appealing oil which contains both therapeutic and fragrant characteristics that are nearly impossible to find elsewhere in the plant kingdom. Masters of the art of perfume have said “No jasmine, no perfume.” Inhaled, jasmine is beneficial to the lungs. Massaged on, jasmine is soothing to overworked and uncomfortable bodies. It is a gentle toner of upset or reddened skin, and can be used to support fresh, dewy glowing complexions.
Jasmine’s particular gifts lie in the subtle realm. It is the psyche and emotions that are the principal beneficiaries of jasmine’s powers. Add this precious treasure to blends to diminish feelings of fear, sadness and gloom; jasmine is thought to bring confidence and optimism and to produce feelings of euphoria. In general, feelings of love and peace surround this exquisite and delicate floral oil.
Jasmine is believed to have the ability to revitalize, restore, and balance energy. As one of the most powerful essential oils to enhance sensual moods, jasmine is valuable in awakening passion and romantic sentiment. Whether you’re using it as a sensual and intoxicating perfume or to uplift yourself, one drop placed daily on the heart, the neck and/or the wrists, is all it takes to consistently benefit from its powers.
How to Use Night Blooming Jasmine Absolute Oil
- Perfume Oil: Said to be the king of flowers, wearing jasmine sambac neat, or straight on the skin, is an alluring fragrance that will bring intoxicating wellness to yourself and anyone that has the grace of being near you.
Other Ways to Use Night Blooming Jasmine Absolute Oil
Using jasmine in the diffuser is a luxurious treat. One drop alone in the water reservoir or mixed with other florals is enough to transport oneself to an exotic and amazing place. We find ourselves amazed over and over again at the power diffusing jasmine has, it always justifies the use of this true aromatic treasure.
- Comfortable Breath Diffuser: Use a few drops in your diffuser therapy to support the lungs in restoring their comfort through any challenging times, physical or emotional.
- Time to Relax Diffuser: Including jasmine sambac in your diffuser is a treat. If you wish to create a joyful calm this flower is here to assist in calm and relaxation.
- Mommy Massage: Add several drops of night blooming jasmine to ½ oz jojoba oil for an all-over body massage to uplift the spirit postpartum and to support the skin of the abdomen in suppleness post baby.
- Direct Palm Inhalation: Inhale jasmine to help support new healthy patterns of behavior (helpful with visualization).
Night Blooming Jasmine Absolute Oil Recipes
- Mood Balancing Blend: 2 drops jasmine oil, 8 drops bergamot oil and 4 drops clary sage oil. Use in a diffuser or dilute for massage.
- Romance Blend: 4 drops jasmine oil, 4 drops sandalwood oil, 2 drops rose oil and 2 drops cardamom oil in 15 mL of marula or other carrier oil for massage. Or skip the carrier oil and add to a diffuser.
Night Blooming Jasmine Absolute Oil Profile
The exquisite Jasmine sambac flowers are hand harvested and produced organically in India. The blossoms must be carefully harvested by hand so as not to bruise the flower; bruised flowers will produce unpleasant fragrance notes in the absolute.
Safety Considerations for Night Blooming Jasmine Absolute Oil
Non-toxic, non-irritant and non-sensitizing. If nursing, consult your health care practitioner before using jasmine absolute oil as it can prevent lactation. Do not take jasmine absolute oil internally.
Aromatic Profile and Blending of Night Blooming Jasmine Absolute Oil
- Perfumery Note: Middle to base
- Odor: Warmly floral, rich, masculine and musky, waxy-herbaceous, oily-fruity with tea-like undertones
- Strength of Initial Aroma: Medium to strong, diffusive
- Blends Well With: Florals like rose oil, dawn blooming jasmine grandiflorum, lavender oil, clary sage and ylang-ylang oil; all citrus oil, especially bergamot oil; also frankincense oil and sandalwood oil.
- Botanical Name:Jasminum officinale var. sambac
- Family: Oleaceae
- Composition: 100% Pure Night Blooming Jasmine Absolute Oil
- Origin: India
- Method of Extraction: Solvent Extraction
- Cultivation/Harvesting: Organic
- Plant Part: Jasmine blossoms
- Color: Dark orange to reddish brown
- Consistency: Medium to viscous
- Yield: 3.5%
- Bottle Size: ¼ Dram (0.95 mL)
Ayurvedic Wisdom for Night Blooming Jasmine Absolute Oil
According to the ancient healing system of Ayurveda, jasmine oil is an antidote to the Vata and Pitta dosha (the biological forces of wind and fire). Therefore, by balancing ‘wind’, jasmine oil will assist in slowing down the anxious and upset mind and will support joy and peaceful feelings. When jasmine oil is used amorously, it elevates romance into a spiritual experience. By balancing ‘fire’, jasmine oil will decrease the excess heat in the body and mind and will support a cool, relaxed and clear mind. Jasmine’s watery coolness will help to put out the fire of Pitta.
Interesting Night Blooming Jasmine Absolute Oil Information
Jasmine sambac flower buds open around 11 PM, releasing fragrance at night, while jasmine grandiflorum buds open at dawn. One of the most costly oils, it takes over 8 million jasmine blossoms to produce 1 kg of absolute. Each blossom must be carefully harvested by hand so as not to bruise the flower, since bruised flowers will produce unpleasant fragrance notes. The living flower can never be fully captured in extracted form as there are certain extremely volatile molecules that disappear once the flower is plucked.
Recent scientific research has confirmed what traditional Ayurvedic knowledge has observed over the centuries. Studies on the effects of inhaling jasmine oil fragrance have found that the flower produces a stimulating effect on the mind, and significantly increases mental alertness. Other studies found that this stimulating effect of jasmine oil reduces the need for sleep. As lovers and tired parents know, these are prerequisites for romantic fulfillment.
Steffen Arctander: ❝Jasmine absolute is used in such a multitude and variety of perfumes that it is hardly possible to establish a rule for its use. 'No perfume without jasmine' is an old saying, and this is not far from the fact. The jasmine-rose complex forms the more important part of numerous 'grands parfums' as well as quite ordinary perfumes and bases. The floral note, when required, is provided by the addition of jasmine in 8 out of 10 cases.❞
A Note About Absolutes
Some plant material is simply too fragile to put through steam or hydro distillation; the organic material begins to decompose immediately upon harvesting. To retain the delicate aromatic compounds that would otherwise be lost in traditional distillation, a method is used whereby solvents draw the volatile essential oils out of the botanical material. The solvent is then extracted, resulting in a waxy concrete. A second extraction removes waxes and solids, and what remains is the most complete aromatic profile available with existing technology.
Watch: David Crow on Essential Oils from Healing Flowers
Learn more about the important properties of these oils in
Module 5: The Flowers of the Pharmacy of Flowers home training on how to use essential oils.