Lime Essential Oil
About Lime Essential Oil
Lime essential oil promotes a healthy inflammatory response and enhances circulation, assisting in the smoothing of adipose tissue. Immune supporting and cooling, lime oil can enhance the body's healing capacity and vitality during cold and flu season. Lime’s refreshing yet not-too-sweet properties can assist with enhancing mental clarity and alertness and can also promote feelings of positivity, calm and harmony.
Fresh, tangy and fragrantly emphatic, this lime essential oil shares much of its therapeutic profile with its citrus cousin, the lemon, and has many of the same astringent, toning and mood elevating properties. Distilled from South African limes, this essential oil has a particularly bright, zesty scent.
How to Use Lime Essential Oil
Lime essential oil can be applied topically, as a compress, in the bath, through direct inhalation, or used with a diffuser.
- Inhale (direct palm inhalation) lime oil to uplift a tired mind and to enhance digestive functions.
- In vapor therapy, inhale a combination of lime and grapefruit oils to promote the healing of the throat and to support sinus decongestion.
- Two drops lime in an aromatic bath can help soothe the digestive system and can help enhance muscle and joint health.
- Diffuse lime oil with grapefruit oil and lavender oil to soothe the nervous system, to boost mental clarity, and to help reduce stress and tension.
Please use safety precautions, because citrus and the sun are incompatible. Citrus oils, including lime, are phototoxic, and can damage your skin if rubbed on the skin and exposed to sunlight.
Lime Essential Oil Recipes
- Mental Clarity Blend: 4 drops lime oil, 2 drops tulsi oil and 2 drops peppermint oil. Use in a diffuser or place a few drops on tissue and inhale.
- Ancestral Essence Blend: 8 drops lime oil, 8 drops frankincense oil, 2 drops each of opoponax oil, patchouli oil and sandalwood oil in 15 mL of jojoba oil.
Safety Considerations for Lime Essential Oil
Like other citrus oils, lime oil is considered to be non-toxic and non-irritant. It is, however, considered to be photo-sensitizing; therefore, avoid UV exposure for 24 hours after topical application. Do not take lime essential oil internally.
- Botanical Name:Citrus aurantifolia
- Composition: 100% Pure Lime Essential Oil
- Origin: South Africa
- Plant Part: Lime Peels
- Extraction: Cold-pressed
- Cultivation/Harvesting: Organic
- Bottle Size: ½ fl oz (15 mL)
Interesting Lime Essential Oil Information
Originally from Asia, the lime tree was introduce to Europe by the Moors. British ships transporting limes were often called "lime juicers" as crews depended heavily on the lime’s high vitamin C content to prevent scurvy during long voyages. Today, it is cultivated in Italy, Africa, the West Indies and the Americas. Lime is used to flavor ginger ale and cola drinks. It is also used in the perfume industry, particularly in men’s cologne. Some citrus oils are steam-distilled while others are expressed, or expeller pressed, by squeezing the fatty oil from the rind of the fruit. Though expression or expeller pressing is the best method of extraction in most cases, these methods technically do not produce what are considered to be “essential” oils.
Watch: David Crow on the Uses of Citrus Essential Oils
Learn more about these oils in the Pharmacy of Flowers home training on how to use essential oils.