Patchouli Essential Oil
About Patchouli Essential Oil
If you are like many, patchouli may have been your introduction to essential oils when you were first searching for your own unique signature perfume. This Indian patchouli is one of the loveliest, top-grade patchoulis available today. This oil has a much finer and fuller odor than those patchoulis that have not been given proper time to age and develop. Patchouli has an extremely rich, sweet-herbaceous, aromatic, spicy and woody-balsamic odor. There is an almost wine-like ethereal floral sweetness in the top notes and this sweetness remains throughout all of the stages of dryout.
Patchouli, like vetiver, sandalwood, cedar and frankincense is a perfume fixative. A fixative is a necessary component of a perfume, with its rich and deep scent and the power of holding top and middle notes to the skin for long periods. Patchouli has long been used for beautifying the skin. Aside from being a famous perfume, it is added to many skin lotions and potions. It has the ability as a soothing tonic to restore your skin’s youthful glow and grace. It can be very effective in calming and clearing red and upset adolescent skin. It is also used in solution of a carrier oil to apply to nails which may be suffering from yellowing or cracking.
As for the mind, Patchouli is first thought of for its sensual power in creating an amorous atmosphere. Adding patchouli to your diffuser along with ylang-ylang, bergamot and frankincense will create a sweet space to become uplifted and adored.
How To Use Patchouli Essential Oil
- Massage or Perfume Oil: Patchouli's aroma is rich, sensuous and earthy. Being a very strong base note, it can easily overtake other oils. For perfumery and fixative purposes, when combining essential oils, it is recommended to limit patchouli to 5% or less of the total oil content. Start with one drop and let some time pass before adding more to your blend. Once you like your essential oil blend, you may add to a few ounces of your favorite carrier oil. This mixture can be used for a massage, or you may just rub a few drop of it onto your wrists for perfume or use it as a light deodorant. See our section below on Patchouli’s aromatic profile and blending to begin creating your own signature perfume.
Other Ways to Use Patchouli Essential Oil
While patchouli oil has a wide array of therapeutic uses, this particular special reserve aged variety lends itself particularly well to perfume blending and other aromatic usages.
- Direct Palm Inhalation: Diluted in quality carrier oil such as marula oil or jojoba oil, our patchouli oil can be used through direct palm inhalation.
- Aromatic Bath: Add patchouli oil to a relaxing bath oil blend to feel deeply moisturized and nourished.
- Bedtime Massage Blend: Blend patchouli oil with other skin-friendly oils such as frankincense oil and dilute in a coconut oil or rose hip seed oil carrier. Apply this mixture lightly to the whole body before bed to absorb the healing effects, and wake up feeling re-energized and rejuvenated.
- Rejuvenating Massage Blend: Blend our warming patchouli oil with other oils, dilute in a carrier oil, and use as a massage blend when you feel disconnected or worn out.
- Romance Blend: Blend patchouli with jasmine and rose and welcome your partner into a luxurious evening of romance and sensuality—add to a massage oil base or a spritzer bottle with water and spray throughout your space.
Safety Considerations for Patchouli Essential Oil
Patchouli oil is non-toxic, non-irritating, and non-sensitizing. Do not take patchouli essential oil internally.
Patchouli Essential Oil Profile
Floracopeia’s patchouli is grown, harvested and distilled in India non-certified organically. It is aged and distilled in the master tradition as needed to produce such a high-quality, almost fruity oil.
Aromatic Profile and Blending of Patchouli Essential Oil
This organic patchouli essential oil from India is light with delicate, earthy notes rounding out the soft herbaceous and mildly spicy bouquet. Patchouli oil blends well with myrrh oil, sandalwood oil, lavender oil, clary sage oil, cypress oil, lemon essential oil and cinnamon oil.
- Botanical Name:Pogostemon cablin
- Composition: 100% Pure Patchouli Essential Oil
- Origin: India
- Plant Part: Patchouli leaves
- Extraction: Steam Distillation
- Cultivation/Harvesting: Organic
- Bottle Size: ½ fl oz (15 mL)
Interesting Patchouli Essential Oil Information
Patchouli is an aromatic, herbaceous, perennial shrub, with erect stems, large green leaves and small white-pink flowers. Patchouli essential oil is contained mainly in glands on the underside of the leaves. The age of the dried leaves seems to have a marked influence upon the quality of the distilled oil.
Patchouli oil is a staple in the traditional medicines of the many cultures from which it originates. Once used to scent fabrics and wardrobes before being traded and sold. Tenacity in odor is one of the typical virtues of patchouli oil and is one of the reasons for its versatile use. Patchouli will remain perceptible for weeks or even months!
Patchouli is a good crop for agroforestry; it can be planted among young or even mature plantations of coconut, rubber, citrus or coffee. The name patchouli comes from a Tamil word, paccilai, meaning "green leaf". In India patchouli is referred to as puchapat. Patchouli was popularized in the early 1800's Europe, when it was used to impregnate paisley scarves and costly woven good from India.
Patchouli oil deepens and mellows with age, and was blended with camphor to give India ink its characteristic odor.
Ayurvedic Wisdom for Patchouli Essential Oil
Patchouli is considered warming and moistening so it is an excellent remedy for conditions of excess wind or where the Vata dosha are present. Being of the earth, this oil has calming, grounding and centering properties that work on both the body and the mind equally. Due to its watery nature it is can assist in working against excess heat or Pitta dosha in the body and mind.
Ratings & Reviews
Great way to start the day!
This oil starts my day with a feeling of well being. Best of all, it stays with me as I move through the day.
Floracopeia’s Patchouli is one of my all-time favorite patchouli oils, and one of my favorite essential oils, period. It’s not in stock at the moment, it looks, but when it’s back, I can’t wait to get an extra bottle. If you’re a fan of patchouli, Floracopeia’s distillation is rich, pure, grounding, and nourishing.
One of the best!
Floracopeia's Patchouli Essential oil offers the finest, purest product. Immediately, relaxation, relief, and ease is felt as you inhale this essential oil.
Spiritual awakening in a bottle!
This oil is earthy, grounding, ephemeral and slightly sweet. This is what spiritual awakening smells like.
This is a wonderful patchouli aroma, very earthy but not too heavy wonderful base tones that are also very uplifting, great support for healthy body tissue and wonderfully earthy gift.
Nice aged Patchouli!
I appreciate that Floracopeia sells this aged Patchouli as fresh Patchouli can be a little sharp.
Best patchouli I’ve ever smelled!
Nice, sort of a “sixties” aroma but this time of the highest quality. Another oil I am upgrading from the ones I bought early in my studies.
Sublime and relaxing scent that stays with you.