Silver Fir Essential Oil
About Silver Fir Essential Oil
Possessing a soft, sweetly resinous fragrance, the clean, fresh aroma of silver fir exerts a powerful calming influence, encourages restful sleep, while at the same time providing an uplifting and refreshing feeling. Fir essential oil promotes mental clarity. This oil blends very well with many other oils, it is one that we often keep near our office diffuser to promote a clear, effective mind.
Like other conifer oils, silver fir has an affinity both for assisting the lungs and complaints of sore bodies. A warming oil par excellence, silver fir can help boost energy moving throughout the body and is thus soothing to joints and muscles. This oil is highly effective when used daily in the diffuser, especially when there may be inhibited flow through the breath channels during the difficult winter months.
How To Use Silver Fir Essential Oil
- In the Diffuser: Being a grand confer oil, use Silver Fir to deodorize your rooms during or after periods of sickness. Great for the office or creative environment, you will feel alert, clear and productive when used regularly. Add several drops to your diffuser along with rosemary and lavender to create an aromatically pleasing and effective blend.
Other Ways To Use Silver Fir Essential Oil
Silver fir oil can be applied topically (always diluted), as a compress, in the bath, through direct inhalation, or diffuser.
- Soothing Bath: Add two drops to bath water for relaxing the breath and sore bodies.
- Massage Oil: Add 6 drops silver fir to 1 oz lotion or massage oil and apply to muscles needing help.
Silver Fir Essential Oil Recipes
- Room Deodorizer: 8 drops silver fir oil, 4 drops cypress oil and 4 drops cedarwood oil diffused or spritzed as desired.
- Ouch Blend: 2 drops silver fir oil, 2 drops cedar oil, 4 drops helichrysum oil, 4 drops German chamomile oil and 2 drops rosemary oil diluted in 30 mL (1 oz) of jojoba or other carrier oil. Apply as needed.
Safety Considerations for Silver Fir Essential Oil
Non-toxic, non-irritant (except in high concentration and to those with highly sensitive skin) and non-sensitizing. Avoid during pregnancy. Do not take silver fir essential oil internally.
Silver Fir Essential Oil Profile
This superior Silver Fir oil, also known as Giant Fir, is distilled from unsprayed hand-trimmed needles of fir trees growing in Albania.
Aromatic Profile and Blending of Silver Fir Essential Oil
- Perfumery Note: Middle
- Odor: Fresh, delicate, fruity-balsamic, heady, green incense-resinous
- Dryout: Sweet, fruity, herbaceous
- Strength of Initial Aroma: Medium
- Blends Well With: Other pine and fir oils, rosemary oil, patchouli oil and citrus oils
- Botanical Name:Abies alba
- Family: Pinaceae
- Composition: 100% Pure Silver Fir Essential Oil
- Origin: Albania
- Method of Extraction: Steam Distillation
- Cultivation/Harvesting: Wild-harvested
- Plant Part: Needles
- Color: Colorless to pale yellow
- Consistency: Thin
- Yield: 0.3% - 0.5%
- Bottle Size: ½ fl oz (15 mL)
Interesting Silver Fir Essential Oil Information
An oleo-resin is obtained from blister-like swellings in the bark. The resin extracted from it, called "Strasburg turpentine", is used in perfumery, medicine and for caulking ships. Oil of turpentine is an important solvent in the paint industry. The residue, known as 'rosin oil', is used in making varnishes, lacquers and carbon black. The resin is tapped from 60 to 80 year old trees.
Many conifer oils, due to harvesting methods, are subject to contamination such as oil and gas from chain saws, wood chips and branches, which add unwanted resins, petroleum byproducts and turpentine to the final product. The oils that we offer come from either wild-harvested or organically cultivated trees, using only the tips and needles, which are hand cut with non-lubricated shears and then distilled in a certified organic still. This guarantees that the distillation produces only the cleanest, most refined oils possible.
Watch: David Crow on Essential Oils for Respiratory Health
Learn more in Module 2: Respiratory Oils of the Pharmacy of Flowers home training on how to use essential oils.